Is a writing sample required for applicants?

For applicants to the Ph.D. program in the Study of Religion, a writing sample is required. The 10-page limit/2500-word limit refers to the main body of the paper and does not include bibliographies.

Can doctoral students defer funding?

The GSAS made some changes to their funding structure for doctoral students entering 2016-17 and beyond. These allow for some deferrals of teaching fellowships to later G years and other enhancements. Read more.

When are stipends disbursed?

Incoming new graduate students receive their stipend disbursement on orientation day. Returning graduate students are issued stipend the first of September for the fall term. If you have not set up direct deposit, the check will be mailed on that date.

Can I pursue a degree in Law and the Study of Religion?

Harvard offers a coordinated JD/PhD Program which is designed for students interested in completing interdisciplinary work and is founded on the belief that students’ legal studies and their arts and sciences graduate studies can be mutually enriched through this pursuit. Students completing the coordinated program receive a JD from Harvard Law School (HLS) and a PhD from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). It is expected that these students will be strong candidates for teaching posts at law schools and in arts and sciences programs Read more about Can I pursue a degree in Law and the Study of Religion?

Do I need to mail my transcripts by the application deadline?

When applying to the Doctoral Program, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences requires that you upload a copy of your transcript from each college/university attended with your online application. An official transcript showing the conferral of the undergraduate degree is required to register in the Graduate School. An official transcript that differs from the application copy may bar an admitted candidate from registering.